This 8 week program developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn has a strong evidence base and has been running internationally for more than 30 years. You can cultivate mindfulness by learning specific meditation techniques which you apply in everyday life. Becoming more mindful can increase your enjoyment and appreciation of life. It is also a skilful and compassionate way of looking after yourself.
Mindfulness Training can assist with the management of:
- Anxiety and depression
- Difficult emotions
- Health issues e.g. chronic pain and sleeping difficulties
- Extensive research has shown that MBSR participants report:
- An improved sense of wellbeing and enrichment of everyday moments
- A greater ability to relax and cope with short and long term stressful situations.
- An increased capacity to tolerate chronic pain, and other conditions that may or may not go away
- Greater self-awareness and capacity to respond rather than react to life’s challenges
- Individual phone interview with facilitator prior to commencement of program
- 2 1/2 hour class once a week for eight weeks
- Guided training in mindfulness meditation practices including body awareness, gentle movement, sitting and walking meditation
- One full day of guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices
- Information segments and group discussion
- Individual support via email or phone
- Workbook and CDs
- A focus on experiential learning.
- Stress physiology and how mindfulness can regulate the stress response
- Dealing with difficult emotions
- Thoughts and Stress – the linking relationship
- Awareness of the Body
- Integrating mindfulness into everyday life and interpersonal relationships
- Using breath as an anchor – how to steady and stabilize oneself.
- Establishing and maintaining regular practice
n.b. To reap the most benefits from MBSR, participants are encouraged to attend each session, and practice daily at home for the duration of the course.